Friday, March 4, 2011

El Salvador Day 5 - The End

My family insisted that I had to go to the beach at least once while I was there and who was I to argue with them? So for my last full day we packed up and headed to an extended family members beach property. Their property had several mini houses on it, one had a kitchen and bathroom, one had two bedrooms and a bathroom, and another had even more bedrooms. It also had plenty of covered outdoor space with hammocks everywhere. In short, my dream living. It was not beach front, but still less than a minute walk to the water. I stayed out in the sun for about 40 minutes without sunscreen and burned. Whoops. 

Afterwards we headed out for lunch and beers at a place on the water where I got a steak and lobster for $12 and mariachis serenaded us. Both were really good.



Remember: The men with guns are your friends
 My uncle’s cousin was at lunch, and he is a Captain in the Navy. After we ate he offered to take us on a private tour on the Navy ship, something most civilians would never experience. They even let us take my cousins’ dog on the boat so she wouldn’t have to stay inside the car.


My Aunt driving

Me and my Cousin
It was amazing, a perfect sunny day to be on the water. Once we got a decent distance from land they offered to let us go swimming. Neither my cousin nor I had our suits with us, so we just jumped in the water in our clothes.




After our swim we went to another outdoor restaurant for beers and snacks. One thing I love about El Salvador, they give you mini appetizers with every beer you order, every time. This restaurant was also right next to the ocean, and I was really surprised by the houses that were on waterfront property. My cousin explained that because of natural disasters most people with money chose to have their homes further inland. My US mind couldn’t help but wonder what kind of houses they would look like if it was, say, California.

Beach front property anyone?
After a long day of sun and beer we headed back to my grandparents house for one last dinner together. I packed up my things and the next morning woke up by 7 am. After an hour and a half drive I boarded the plane to fly back to the snow storm Seattle was having. But not before I promised my Grandma to visit every year.


Until next time.

1 comment:

  1. What an amazing trip! I didn't know you blogged! I'm following now. If a wedding is in the works, I vote El Salvador. I'll plan it for free for a few nights in a hammock ;)

    If you haven't tried Nutella, don't start. So addictive!

    ReplyDelete