Tuesday, March 1, 2011

El Salvador Day 3

My third day in El Salvador was my Grandma’s 76th birthday. 
Me and my grandma
My family and I woke up bright and early and had a typical breakfast of beans, pastries and coffee before setting out for my grandparent’s second house just outside of the main city. 

Yard in house #2
They built this house some years before, and it is perfectly round. The rooms are oddly shaped, but somehow it still works. I tried to capture the feel of it, but I think you have to see it for yourself.

Round House

Can you tell it's round? 
Awkward corners.


















Now there was a little bit that was lost in translation here. I was told to be sure to bring my bathing suit so I could lay by the pool before celebrating the birthday, not realizing that the birthday was going be within 30 minutes of arriving and there were going to be a LOT of people there. So I didn’t bring a change of clothes. Or brush my hair. Or put on any make up. Oops. 
I just kept my sunglasses on.
Oh well… One thing was for sure, my family knows how to throw a good party; they hired cooks to make us dinner and a bartender for all your drinking needs. It's nice to not have to worry about anything.
Paella
The day was pretty relaxing. Lots of food, drinks, cake, and good conversation… with my grandma and I dancing around per usual.  She had more people attend and received more presents than anyone else I know. She only kept the whiskey though. All in all a great party, the only thing missing was my grandpa.




Dancing Queen
Afterwards we went back to the main house (headquarters) for more wine and relaxation. Aren’t vacations grand?

2 comments:

  1. WOw Carly, looks like so much fun, and awesome family!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE paella. All the food looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete