Wednesday, March 2, 2011

El Salvador Day 4

This was the day I officially became a citizen of El Salvador. My dad and I went to get our DUI’s (Documento Unico de Identidad). It was worse than the DOL, no offense to my friend who works at the DOL. They had problems because my passport has only three names (Carly Frances Saade), but in Latin America they are required to use my mom’s maiden name as well. I’m not going to go into all the gory details, but I was fingerprinted four times, had two people sign for me, and over four hours later I was Carly Frances Saade Sanchez. Has quite a ring, don’t you think? It’s my new alter ego.

While waiting in line to get into the DUI building, I snapped a few pictures of the city. A first I was hesitant because I didn’t want to look “too much like a tourist”, before realizing it was already pretty obvious.

Fifteen Hour Fitness. For most of your fitness needs

Part of the town

Lady with a basket of goods on her head
After getting our spiffy ID’s we headed back to the house to nap, visit, drink wine, and eat. That's all we did until about 2:00 am. Rough life.

Me, my Dad, Grandpa, Grandma

My Aunt trying to dance, my Uncle restraining her
Oh, one quick thing. While at the DUI office I had this little conversation with a lady that works there: Her: “Habla espanol?” (Do you speak Spanish)
Me: “No”
Her: “Si, pero entienda espanol.” (Yes, but you understand Spanish)
Me: “No.”
Her: “…… No?!”
Me: “Haha… Si, un poco” (A little)


5 comments: