Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Well this took quite a turn...

Ahhh... Three day weekends. Is there anything better? Since I'm not married, no kids, and no roommates/live-in boyfriend, I can basically do whatever I want. One day, I want those things, but for now I absolutely LOVE to just revel in the selfishness living alone provides. When I moved into my very own place (a year and two days ago!), I was worried that I would get bored and lonely, especially with no TV. In the beginning it was hard, but it didn't last long. Turns out I'm actually pretty good company!


I can't count the number of times that I've come home and sat down with a book and a fire and felt absolutely at peace. Pure bliss. I love that my apartment is usually neat and clean, and if it's not it's only my fault. I love that I can listen to music in the morning without worrying about waking anyone else up. I love deciding what to cook for dinner based on my tastes alone, or saying screw it and getting a roasted chicken from QFC and eating it with my bare hands. (Yes. I do that. Often.)


When I first started this venture of being alone I was scared and nervous, but also knew it was something I needed to do for me. I always considered myself to be an independent person, but I wasn't really. Not while I had someone else to pay part of my bills or rent, or to make decisions and compromise with on a daily basis. There is a freedom and confidence that I've gained by supporting myself that I didn't have before.Financially things have been harder, but it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make. The life I lead is a gift from myself to myself, and I wouldn't change it for anything.


Hahaha... I set out to tell you about my weekend, and wrote this instead! I guess I thought it was more important. There was something that happened this weekend that was a little scary though. Sunday night I was heading home on 900 (dark two lane road between Renton and Issaquah) when I noticed a car trying to pass another car, heading in my direction. Well I guess the first car didn't want to be passed, because they sped up. The car in my lane also sped up, and wound up forcing me off the road to avoid a head on collision. I'm lucky that they "won" and were able to swerve back into their lane at the same time I swerved off the road, because there hadn't been enough time for me to get completely over. I was going 50, they were going quite a bit faster. I drove home fine, then realized how fucking close it was to being really really bad. The video below is pretty accurate (I'm the truck), except it happened A LOT faster with much less time for me to react. Whew.




2 comments:

  1. That is scary! People have no regard for anyone else, I tell you! I am glad you are okay.

    As for living alone - never done it. I think I could handle it okay now. But I have a husband instead. :) Enjoy it while you can!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure one day I will think "I didn't know what I was missing!", but for now I like where I'm at :)

    ReplyDelete