Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Fat and Babies

I wrote this a while back, but seeing as one of my oldest friends is due in the next two weeks, (making me the only one out of that group not married or having babies I’d like to point out) AND another of my closest friends is due in June, I thought it was still pretty relevant.

Then:


Now: (Note the only one not wearing purple. That's the key to being ready.)

I’ve come to terms with the fact that I will never be the size that I was in high school. It was a tough realization, but in all honesty my body has changed. I’ve got child bearing hips these days. It’s as though my body is saying “I know you’re not ready for kids now, but just in case, I’m ready”. Basically my body and my mom are on the same page with that. So, maybe I can’t whittle myself down to where I was 10 years ago, but where I was 6 months ago?! C’mon, that should be easy! Now if only my brain would get that message to my ass I’d be golden. Even though my body has decided to become all womanly on me, (and I guess that’s fair since I’m pushing the envelope to 27 these days and that’s technically what I am) I’m nowhere near ready for kids. Of course, I always pictured myself married first (ha! Who doesn’t?) or at the very least sporting some health insurance. Last thing I want is to look at my medical bill and ask if they’ll just take the baby back. Somehow I don’t think they give out Mother of the Year awards for that.

I look terrified


In all seriousness, if the thought of losing my body is enough to make me dread kids, then I think that’s a pretty good sign that I should wait. In the meantime I think I will enjoy my one bedroom apartment with my cat.

Hello Pretty!


(I should point out that all of my friends have managed to look fantastic during and after the pregnancies. But for some reason I have this fear that me having kids =  permanently losing the ability to see my feet.)

2 comments:

  1. Oh my dear Carly!! Those pictures are awesome. I love that the 4 of us are still friends. You guys are the best.
    And as for children, you will know when you're ready! And when you are- you will be such a beautiful pregnant lady. And a wonderful Mom! And as for looking good after pregnancy... well that is all in the eye of the beholder. I look in the mirror and am frightened by what I see. I would have a long way to go to get back to my high school shape. But, I have come to terms with the fact that I never will. I'm trying to embrace my womanly figure as well. We can do it together.
    Love you!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. No rush my dear. You will know when it's right for you. I know how you feel though - with everyone around you starting families. I guess we don't have to have the same plans. Some people have a totally different idea of how they are going to reach each goal and when. Dare to be different!

    ReplyDelete