Wednesday, January 12, 2011

A Change in Plans

My last post was about opening up about things, so here goes nothing!

I was planning a trip to Cabo next month for a wedding. I was really looking forward to it; Brady is the best man, lots of friends were going, and the couple is so sweet and so obviously in love that seeing them get married was important to me. Unfortunately, I also just found out that my Grandpa has been pretty sick, and hasn't been able to leave the upstairs of his home in a few weeks. My dad is flying down to El Salvador to see him the same weekend as the wedding. 

El Salvador


This hit me kinda hard. For obvious reasons I  have only been able to see my grandma and grandpa every two or three years. However, despite the geographical distance I've always felt a strong connection and closeness with them. 

Me, Gma, Great Uncle, Dad, Stepmom, Aunt and Gpa

Both my grandparents are so lively and young at heart, I think I took for granted that they would be healthy forever. Finding out that my Grandpa was sick was quite a shock.

Playing Air Guitar 2009


The choice of course is clear, I will be skipping the wedding and instead flying down to spend some time with my family. As much as I want to see them it's hard to go from planning a trip for a joyous occasion to planning a trip because of an illness. Then there's the added stress of tickets costing $300-400 more for El Salvador over Mexico and the fact that I will probably be taking more time off of work as well. Frankly, it's a little depressing. Throw on top of that the guilt I feel for even worrying about those things, when the only thing I feel like I should be worried about it Papa Juan. Mix it all together and you get one sad Carly. Blah.

Anyway, thanks for reading. Sorry this post isn't as smoothly written as it should be....

1 comment:

  1. Good start Carly!

    I applaud that you are doing what you feel is the best option or at least the right one. It will be worth it. I always worry that I don't get to Ohio or Arizona enough to see my grandmas and worry that something could happen and I miss out on seeing them healthy.

    I feel you about Mexico and wishing you could be both places. It's hard to swap a joyous occasion for one like this, but I think you will be happy you did.

    ReplyDelete