Monday, May 23, 2011

Left Behind

The Rapture was predicted to have occurred this past weekend, as we all know by now, it didn’t.

To be honest I had little faith that any man could predict when it would occur, especially since it specifically says in the bible that while we may know the times are coming we will not know the exact date.

“But of that day and hour knows no man, no, not the angels which are in heaven, neither the Son, but the father” Mark 13:32

I think a lot of people felt the way I did, but even with these doubts there was something tugging in the back of my and many other people’s mind... Somewhere on the horizon there is an end, whether for the world or individually. I talked about it with my mom (who is one of my favorite people to talk about “heavy” stuff with. She is the most perceptive and insightful person I know), she saw this as an exercise in ourselves. For her the big question is “who do I want to talk to, be around, or forgive before the end?” It encouraged her to look at her life and decide who and what were the most important pieces in it. (Spoiler alert: I was one)

I had a slightly different reaction. When I was younger I had no doubt that when the time came, I would go to Heaven. Zero doubt. I had an honest and pure heart. I maintained this confidence in myself and in my actions until I was about 15. Then somewhere along the line I began to make allowances for myself and operating on a more selfish path. Saturday I realized that when my time comes, I’m not so sure where I’ll wind up. That is scary. Now I know that for the most part that I am a “good” person. I have love and compassion even for those who inspire it the least. I forgive unusually easily. I don’t seek out to hurt others. But despite those qualities I am still disappointed when I  look at myself through my younger eyes. I have a long way to go before I can make myself proud, but I am starting fresh on that path as of yesterday.

While I know that this sort of self reflection was not what Harold Camping had intended, I am thankful that worldwide we were given a chance to examine our lives and our beliefs; however dramatically it was presented.

3 comments:

  1. This is an awesome post Carly. This is something I think about SO much. Sure, I'm a good person, too. But... am I doing MY BEST? That is the real question. Because that is all we can do at any given time, our best. It's not always good enough but I have to believe that God knows what is in my heart. He knows when I'm remorseful, and when I seek to make restitution. He knows my intentions.
    You are a beautiful person my dear, inside and out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If God bases my entry on that time I stold ebroidery floss from the fabric store when I was 4, I'll be pissed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nikki - ha, ha! And Carly, I couldn't have said it better myself. Does that surprise you? Because I'm not surprised at all! I just hope that I am one of your important pieces...you are one of mine.

    ReplyDelete